- Phone: 605-666-4847
- Website: www.bigthundermine.com
- Length of Vacation: Few hours to Full Day
- Cost: Varies on activity $10 – $70
- Open: Year round (call to be sure)
- Type of Prospecting: Gold Panning & Mine Tours
- Equipment: Provided
- Instruction: Provided
- Lodging: In Keystone
- Meals: Not provided
From their web site:
Gold Panning: Learn how to pan for gold at Big Thunder Gold Mine! You will receive a hands-on lesson while you learn the proper technique of panning using the mineral rich sand and gravel from famous Black Hills streams!
- On-site Gold Panning is available every 20 minutes.
- On-site Gold Panning lessons take approximately 15-45 minutes, but there is no time limit.
- On-site Gold Panning guarantees you find 24K gold.
- Individual On-site Gold Panning lessons are available.
- Rates – $9.95, $2 off when combined with a mine tour.
- Pans may be shared among multiple people.
Claim Gold Panning: Spend the day (or half-day) exploring a genuine Black Hills gold claim while learning to pan for gold in the same gold-rich streams that brought early miners to the Black Hills in the 1800’s.
- Claim Gold Panning is located four miles down the road (you will follow guide in your own vehicle) on a National Forest Service Claim, bring appropriate clothing and footwear. Usually shoes with good traction but can get wet and shorts or pants that you can roll up.
- Claim Gold Panning offers half day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours) experiences. Tours times are 8a-12p, 12p-4p or 8a-4p during regular season.
- Claim Gold Panning methods include: digging in the earth, classifying the rock, sluicing and panning directly in the creek. Panning equipment provided for the tour.
- Claim Gold Panning helps you find Black Hills Gold
Half day (4 hrs) – Adults $40, Children ages 6-16 $30
Full day (8 hrs) – Adults $70, Children ages 6-16 $55