- Phone: 775-830-5797
- Web site: CLICK HERE
- Length of Vacation: Day or more
- Cost: $75 per adult per day, 12 and under are free (special rates for Groups, Seniors and Military)
- Open: Year round; 10am to 3pm, Thursday – Monday (closed on Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Type of Prospecting: Tourmalines
- Equipment: All tools available at no extra charge
- Instruction: Their site does not say
- Lodging: Resort nearby
- Meals: Not provided
From their web site:
Dig your own pink and green California tourmalines from the world’s most famous tourmaline mine, the Himalaya Mine near beautiful Lake Henshaw in San Diego County, 20 miles east of Pala. Over 200,000 lbs. produced since 1898 including quartz crystals, lepidolite, topaz, morganite, and other pegmatite minerals. You can visit us and dig your own Himalaya Mine tourmaline ore at the Lake Henshaw Resort, which is adjacent to the Himalaya Mine.
We have brought dump truck loads of tourmaline bearing ore down the hill to allow easier access for the public. The prices for all you can dig gem screening is $75 per person per day, buy five get one free. Buckets of very high grade gem pocket ore are available from our very rich area which can be taken home for screening $100. Faceted gemstones including Himalaya Mine tourmalines and Oregon Sunstones are also available for purchase on site. We will have all tools available at no extra charge, but you may want to bring a hat, rubber gloves, muddy shoes, a bag for the tourmalines, old toothbrush for scrubbing and plenty of water for drinking.
You must be logged in to post a comment.