- Phone: 828-286-3016
- Web site: http://www.huntforgold.com/
- Length of Vacation: Day, Overnight or longer
- Cost: From $10 a day to pan, to $150 for 2 day common events (see site for more info)
- Open: Seasonal (March – November, see site for exact dates)
- Type of Prospecting: Gold – Panning, Sluice, Dredge & MD
- Equipment: Bring your own; store on site with supplies
- Instruction: Site does not say
- Lodging: Camping and Cabin rentals available (see site for more info)
- Meals: Site does not say
From their web site:
Since 1992, Thermal City Gold Mine has been the best recreational gold & gem mining facility in the eastern United States. Our aim is to provide a true and authentic experience.
Located on the actual site of one of the earliest mines of Rutherford County, the mine has had a long and varied history. In the May 14, 1830 issue of The North Carolina Spectator and Western Advisor the announcement was made that the mine was open. it added, “This mine bids fair to become one of the best in the gold region.”
Thermal City Gold Mine consists of a one mile section of the Second Broad River and about 85 acres of Placer Gravel deposits. The river provides plenty of working area. Material is dug from our pit and delivered to the work site by a backhoe and an excavator. The gravel is not “enhanced or enriched”. The gold that is found here is in its natural state – right where nature has deposited it! Every effort is made to provide a natural setting and an authentic experience.
We also have a Gem Mining operation where rough gemstone material may be found. This is great fun for the ladies and children, and a few old grizzled miners also get caught up in the excitement.